Hog Hammock Public Library is on Sapelo Island, a Georgia barrier island accessible only by a state-run passenger ferry or private boat. The library is in the Historic Hog Hammock Community, one of the last intact, island-based Gullah-Geechee communities in America. Our island has a rich history as well as beautiful beaches, marshes and forests.
Hog Hammock Public Library was founded in 2002 by the Sapelo Island Cultural and Revitalization Society Inc. (SICARS). The library originally was located in the SICARS office. In 2006, the library became a separate nonprofit organization, and was rededicated as a member of Three Rivers Regional Library System, based in Jesup, Ga. Sapelo's library is now located in the island's former two-room schoolhouse, and has more than 2,500 cataloged materials. The PINES library card gives Sapelo patrons access to more than 10 million materials statewide.
The library has two paid part-time staff members -- the manager and an associate -- and volunteers who help keep the library open and running.
If you would like to visit our library, you must make arrangements in advance so that ferry and land transportation can be arranged for you. The ferry is $5 roundtrip. Send an e-mail to email@example.com, or call (912) 485-2291. Please give at least 48-hours notice.
- Gracie Chandler (elected)
- Nettye H. Evans (elected)
- Rebecca O'Neal (appointed by Hog Hammock Community Foundation)
- Ann Tucker (elected)
- Renee Valle-Hay (elected)
- Deloris Walker (elected)
- Vannie Walker (appointed by SICARS)
- Michael "Woody" Woodward (appointed by McIntosh Board of Education)
- Vacant (to be appointed by McIntosh County Commission)
- Library Manager -- Shuntisk Gaskins
- Library Associate -- Norma Bailey
- Friends Coordinator -- Susan R. Bailey
- Volunteer Associates -- Susan Bailey, Lloyd Dunn, Michele Johnson, Lucy Sellers and Mike Sellers
The Board of Trustees meets on the third Saturday of every odd-numbered month, from 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon. Meetings are open to the public. Reservations are required for attendees coming from the mainland. Call (912) 485-2291 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The regularly scheduled meeting dates for 2017 are:
- Jan. 21, 2017
- March 18, 2017
- May 20, 2017
- July 15, 2017
- September 16, 2017
- November 18, 2017